A Baby Car Seat Cover is an item that goes over a baby’s cart seat pad but it is made specially that allows the harness straps to fit through and strap down the car seat properly. A baby car seat cover is also a great way to add some style and color to your child’s car seat. It’s also easier to clean than a car seat so using it saves the car seat from being dirty. A baby car seat cover has a plethora of other functions and they come in different styles and types that perform different functions.
Types of Baby Car Seat Covers
There are many types and styles of baby car seat covers of course. However, there are 4 major different types of car seat covers that play different roles and functions. We discuss them below:
Summer baby car seat covers
Summer baby car seat covers are great for preventing the sun from getting to your kid while also maintaining good ventilation. Considering how hot the summer months can get, this type of car seat cover prevents your baby from feeling too hot. Summer car seat covers are made with breathable material so air can flow freely in and out of the car seat, and some also have a mesh or net so you can peep in to see your baby.
Winter baby car seat covers
A winter car seat cover is usually made of think and warm materials that trap warmth in the car seat to keep your baby war. When buying a winter car seat cover, look for ones made with warm materials that can trap heat but are also breathable. Also get one that has a see-through mesh or net so you can check on your baby. A winter car seat cover does not replace the need for your baby to dress warmly. It should be used to provide an additional layer of protection and warmth on top of your baby’s regular winter gear.
Rainy weather baby car seat cover
During seasons of a lot of rain, or if you live in a rainy city like Seattle or Hamburg, you know that a lot of times, the rain does not stop you from going out or even having a fun day with the family. It’s however, quite a hassle to juggle an umbrella and a car seat with an infant inside, cue – Rainy weather baby car seat cover. This car seat cover comes with a rain shield to protect your kid from the rain and it also comes with a see-through or transparent plastic covered window so you can peep at your baby. When buying one, make sure you get one that installs properly and has no gaps that water can seep through. Make sure you don’t get one that is made up of entirely plastic as this will mean your kid has no access to air. Once you are indoors, make sure you remove the wet cover to prevent overheating in the car seat (I mean who wants to be stuck in a rain suit while indoors amiriteee?!)
Insect Net Car Seat Covers
These car seat covers particularly come in the spring season or rainy season when insects are the most active. It’ll protect your kids from mosquitoes and bug bites. A good insect net will not only keep bugs from attacking your baby but allow air to circulate around your baby, keeping him cool. Avoid insect nets that have holes for the car seat handle as this also doubles as an entrance for mosquitoes.
Safety of Baby Car Seat Covers
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has said that parents should only use car seat covers that don’t have a layer under the baby. Products that go underneath the baby’s body and between harness straps are recommended against. When buying a car seat cover, you need to do proper research and don’t trust everything on display at the shop as safe.
Also, speaking of car seat and safety, don’t use a car seat that is older than 10 years old. Also, you should never use a car seat that has been in a moderate or severe crash, and it is impossible to tell the crash history of a car seat if you buy it used or second-hand. I mention this because you might be tempted to buy or use an old car seat and decorate it with a pretty car seat cover. Though aesthetically you can refurbish a car seat, it doesn’t mean it’s safe to use. Read the tips below that highlight major safety topics that relate to using a car seat cover in a car seat.
- When a buying a car seat cover, keep in mind that car seat covers typically aren’t officially supported by car seat manufacturers, so make sure that your car seat cover is safe, fits well, and doesn’t interfere with the harness straps on your baby’s car seat.
- You might even check with your car seat manufacturer website or call them or visit a car seat inspection station before using a car seat cover or other aftermarket car seat accessory.
- It’s important to know that many car seat covers are not made with flame retardant materials so make note of this and get one that’s made with flame retardant material if you can.
- Also, make sure your car seat cover fits the car seat properly. Some car seat manufacturers have manufacturing approved car seat covers or partner companies that make them. Check the company website and see if they have recommendations. Don’t force a car seat cover that seems too small or too big for your car seat.
- If you are in a cold climate or the weather is cold and you need to keep your baby warm, remember that wearing your baby a thick coat in the car seat is unsafe. It’s been recommended that babies never wear coats in car seats. Depending on the fabric, a thick, soft infant car seat cover can be like laying on a warm blanket.
- You can also use a car seat slip over or a cold weather car seat cover (discussed above). A cover with an elastic edge that goes over the top of your baby’s car seat, with an opening for her face, is another good way to keep her warm. They usually include a zipper down the middle to make it easy to get your baby in and out of her car seat. You can also put a warm blanket over your baby in the car seat. Make sure the blanket is light but keeps your baby warm.